This is an imagination-filled marking adventure! When we join different forms of expression, the most fantastic proposals can emerge.
In this Play Invitation, we mix mark-making with storytelling to offer children the opportunity to explore concepts like narrative, character-building, sequence, and logic. Children can also develop skills like imagination, communication, and intentionality.
What Could Lead Us to This Play Invitation
- Children have been curious about inventing stories;
- Children are excited about puppetry;
- Children have been assigning meaning to their scribbles.
- Colored pencils
Setting up This Play Invitation
- This can be set up either on a table or the floor.
- Gather paper and pencils.
Tips: Make sure the pencils are sharpened so you don’t interrupt and lose the rhythm during their stories.
How to Create the Drawing
- Demonstrate taking colored pencils on a grand adventure. Tell a silly story and change the pencil with each new color character.
Mr. Red is running to the tree when he sees Little Miss Pink. Little Miss Pink flies through the sky all the way to the grocery store, where Mr. Green is putting out vegetables. Then, out of no where, Batman swoops down and saves Little Brown! What next?
2. Invite children to tell their color stories.
How to Nurture the Natural Unfolding of the Child’s Identity During This Play Invitation
- Children have the right not to be interrupted during their play. The educator must have the material and time organized so that the child can concentrate for long periods without interruptions.
- Children are entitled to act silly. When educators allow themselves to also play and act in a silly way, they will foster the relationship with children, validating their way of being and bringing a sense of lightness and fun to the environment.
The Academic Learning Opportunities
- LANGUAGE: Use language to build narratives and follow a sequence.
- PHYSICAL: Coordinate movement with speech.
- SOCIAL: Develop listening skills and respect for others.
Invite children to build puppets and perform their stories with them.
A funny story having crayons as characters. And they all have a message!